You know that hunting elk is not easy because they are clever and has powerful hearing sense. The backpack is an essential part of hunting elk because you must carry essential hunting gear with you. They allow you to carry heavy load easily and do not make noise when hooking in the bushes that make your hunting more perfect.
The backpack also allows us to keep clothing, expensive gears, clothing, snacks, etc. safely. So, we have presented the 5 best elk hunting backpack after testing several backpacks in the market. They have enough space to store weapons and provide weatherproof protection. Let’s dive into it.
What Should I Bring Elk Hunting?
Hunting an elk in a challenging job and need lots of patience. For hunting elk, you should bring some gears, foods, and essentials. At first, you need a rifle or bow, compass, arrows, binoculars, maps, knife, flashlights, batteries, water bottles, rope, and tent. Also, you need some healthy foods to survive all day long if you are on a long trip. Never forget to bring a first aid kit with necessary medicines and a hunting certificate.
Note: Here, we have covered what you should bring elk hunting. If you want to know more about hunting, you can read the benefits of hunting.
Table of content:
Below is the table of content for your clear navigation:
- 5 Best Elk Hunting Backpack Reviews 2020
- What To Consider Before Buying An Elk Hunting Backpack?
If you want to see the features of our analyzed products at a glance, you can go through the comparison chart below:
5 Best Elk Hunting Backpack Reviews 2020
Finding a backpack for hunting elk is a challenging task because it needs lots of research and time. Here, we have tested several backpacks and rounded up 5 best elk hunting backpack that will meet your demands.
1. Badlands 2200 Camouflage Hunting Pack and Meat Hauler
Badlands 2200 Camouflage Hunting Pack is made with KXO-50 fabric that provides durable, quietest and waterproof while hunting elk, deer, etc. It measures 19 inches X 17 inches X 19 inches, and weight is 5 pounds 5 ounces with 22.5 liters volume to keep all necessary items in one place. Also, it has a 2L hydration unit to keep water bottles.
The frame is constructed with T-6 aircraft alloy metal with interior foam padding and a load lifter strap that helps to carry the backpack without any problem in the shoulder. You can easily carry a bow, rifle, pistol, and other hinting gears for its large space. It has 7 pockets to keep things like scope, knife, etc. and a shelf to preserve meat.
It has extra space to keep a new bow and rifle boot that provide additional support and relaxation. Its Hypalon reinforcements provide comfort by fortifying high-stress points effectively. It has aramid bartacking that is made with ultra-durable fibers and, with its single strand, can hold up to 110 pounds load. It ensures waterproof protection and resists blood, dust, etc. so it could be the best waterproof hunting backpack.
Badlands 2200 Features:
- It is made with KXO-50 fabric and weighs 5 pounds 5 ounces, compatible with a rifle, bow, pistol, etc. for hunting elk.
- Its T-6 aluminum construction with internal foam padding and lifter straps that helps to carry it freely.
- The aramid bartacking fibers can take up to 110 pounds load with sing strand of the thread.
- It has a shelf to carry meat and 7 pockets to put scope, tripod, knife, boot, etc. easily.
- It provides waterproof protection and resists blood, dust, moisture by suppressing scent.
2. Tenzing 2220 Daypack with Firearm Carry Boot and Rain Fly Cover
Tenzing 2220 Daypack is made with aluminum metal with Dyneema fibers that ensure durability, quality, and longevity. It weighs only 4 pounds and has 2220 cubic inches capacity storage to carry accessories for hinting elk. It has 11 compartments that allow you to put gears like scope, tripod, etc. according to your needs. Also, it has full support on the hip side that provides comfort by distributing the total weight.
You can easily put the weapons, guns, rifles, bow, etc. and strap them with the fiber rope to move quickly. It has a 2L dedicated compartment as a hydration pack that allows you to carry liquid drinks, juice in water bottles for relaxation. Also, its Teh zipper quality is outstanding and provides long time support with durable performance.
It comes with a rain cover that ensures protection from rain and dust. It also allows us to carry primary guns, foods, and first aid kits in the additional front storage. It has an attractive Kryptek pattern with high-quality fabric that makes it the good hunting backpacks.
Tenzing 2220 Features:
- The backpack is made with an alloy metal frame with Dyneema fibers that ensure durability and longevity.
- Its 2220 cubic inches storage capacity allows carrying rifles, bows, and other gears for hunting elk.
- It has a dedicated partition for keeping a water bottle up to 2L for hydration during hunting.
- It weighs 4 pounds and has 11 compartments to put necessary things like scope, tripod, etc.
- The built-in rain cover protects the backpack from rainwater and dust effectively.
3. King’s Camo Mountain Top 2200 Backpack
King’s Camo Mountain Top 2200 Backpack has a rip-stop padded mesh airflow system and an internal frame that weighs only 6.25 pounds, so you can easily carry the backpack. Its canvas shelf provides heavy load capacity that makes it the best elk hunting pack for the money. Also, it has 2200 cubic inches of large storage space that helps to put rifles, bows, and other gears to hunt elk.
Its front zip and roll-top closure allow you to enter the main compartment in two ways so you can find your needed things quickly. It has a bow and rifle attachment system that allows you to put these weapons perfectly. Also, its hydration bladder allows you to carry water and liquids that keep you hydrated during hunting. Its hip belt zip pocket allows you to keep primary guns or small gears safely.
The side pockets allow you to keep score, tripod, etc. with easy access. It has many elastic pockets that provide secured storage for expensive gears. Also, it ensures protection from water and dust with the air-mesh flow system. It has a lifting strap that distributes weight on the hip, reducing the pressure from the shoulder.
King’s Camo Features:
- Its internal padded mesh and metal frame support that provides waterproof protection with longevity.
- It has 2200 cubic inches of internal space that allows carrying rifles, bows, and gears for hunting elk.
- Its roll-top closure and front zip help to enter into the main compartment.
- It has a hip belt that allows you to take a heavy load and distribute the shoulder and hip’s total weight.
- The hydration bladder allows carrying water for staying hydrated during hunting.
4. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag
ALPS OutdoorZ Commander is made with durable nylon ripstop fabric and an external metal frame that provides long-time use and weatherproof protection. It weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces and has 17 inches to 23 inches torso adjustments to fit the backpack with your body. It has 5250 cubic inches of extra-large storage to carry rifles, guns, bows, etc. For the large storage capacity, it can be considered the best elk hunting backpack.
It is equipped with a freighter shelf that can take your heavy load with maximum support. The lashing system has 3 straps that help to take extra loads easily. Its side pockets allow you to keep expensive gears like scope, tripod, and other hunting accessories. It has a drop-down holder that helps keep your hands free from the rifle, and the hydration pocket allows you to carry a water bottle.
You can detach the metal frame from the bag, and only the bag weighs about 2 pounds. The detachable frame helps to haul out the meat with a secured lasing system. It has a slip-style holster that helps accommodate essentials. The hinged pockets also allow you to keep first aid kits, medicines, and other things based on your needs. After all, it could be your best affordable hunting backpack.
ALPS OutdoorZ Features:
- The backpacks nylon ripstop fabric and metal frame ensure heavy load capacity with longevity.
- It has 5250 cubic inches of extra-large internal storage that helps to carry all gears for hinting elk.
- The freighter shelf easily takes your loads with maximum support while hunting.
- Its lashing system has extra 3 straps that help to take overload by distributing weight.
- It has a hydration pocket, rifle pocket, and hinged pockets to carry essentials things.
5. Slumberjack Carbine 2500 Backpack
Slumberjack Carbine 2500 is made with nylon fabrics and Kryptek camo pattern designs that provide waterproof protection and long-lasting performance. It has 2500 cubic inches storage capacity that allows bows, rifles, stows, and other gears for hunting elk. Also, it has a built-in rest to make a perfect shot with strength. So, it could be the best budget hunting backpack for these points.
It weighs about 3.6 pounds and can take heavy load easily that will perfectly stick to your back. It has hip belts and extra straps that distribute the total weight so you can easily move quickly with overload. Its compression system provides double strength and to carry load easily.
It has 3 small pockets in front and 2 large side pockets that allow keeping scope, bipods, and other necessary items. It has a hydration compartment that helps to keep yourself hydrated during hunting all day long. It has big zippers that are tough enough but easy to roll so you can easily open the bag compartments and stay secured.
- It is made with nylon fabrics and Kryptek camo pattern designs that provide an elegant look and waterproof protection.
- It has 2500 cubic inches of internal storage that allows us to keep multi-weapon and gears for hunting elk.
- The compression system provides stable and secured the load that makes the carrying more comfortable.
- It has 3 small pockets in front and 2 large side pockets to keep scope, bipod, and other gears.
- The rifle rest allows us to shoot on target with accuracy by stabilizing performance.
What To Consider Before Buying An Elk Hunting Backpack?
Before buying the best elk hunting backpack, you should consider some factors that will make your hunting mission successful and fulfill your requirements. They are:
When choosing a hunting backpack, it is particularly important to pay attention to the material with which it is produced. It should be water repellent, resistant, both to tearing and atmospheric agents, and above all, silent. How annoying is it to move hunting with a backpack that makes a noise at the slightest contact with a branch? Always consider the ease with which it can be washed. The hunting backpack will inevitably get dirty, especially if you use it to carry the collected items. For this, it is better to prefer backpacks that have a removable inner bag and that dry quickly!
Many pockets mean being able to better organize the space and have everything quickly at hand in times of need. A good backpack has 17 to 22 inches length, 12 to 15 inches width, and 20 to 24 inches height. Also, the backpack volume should be 2000 cubic inches to 5000 cubic inches of internal storage. Keep in mind that as the volume and size increases, the weight also increases. On long routes and difficult terrains, holding a heavy load becomes difficult.
Another aspect not to be underestimated is comfort. The shoulder straps must have good padding to avoid shoulder pain when you are fully loaded and must be widely adjustable to adapt to your physical conformation. The hip belt is also useful, which allows you to distribute the weight better and reduces fatigue over long distances.
Although it is not a fundamental feature for everyone, many look for an elegant and practical trekking backpack. From colors that recall nature, such as green and brown, to the total classic black that adapts to all occasions. It must have ergonomic features such as padded shoulder straps that provide a correct distribution of the compartments to have a balanced load.
Watch out for the additional features that some backpacks offer, such as rain covers, navigation compasses, an emergency whistle, or filters to purify the water. These are just some of the extraordinary extras you can find on the elk hunting backpack. Also, make sure that there are cell phone pockets, shoe compartments, bottle holders, hinged pocket, etc. that will make the hunting more comfortable.
By following these factors, you will buy an elk hunting backpack that will meet your demands.
Note: In the above section, we have presented a buying guide for choosing an elk hunting backpack. If you want to know more about hunting backpack, you can read: how to choose a hunting backpack?
Why Should You Buy An Elk Hunting Backpack?
You should buy an elk hunting backpack for several advantages that will make your elk hunting mission successful. They are:
- Elk hunting backpack is made with high-quality fabrics and metal frames that provide long-lasting performance and weatherproof protection.
- It has 2000 cubic inches to 5000 cubic inches of internal storage that easily store all weapons, hunting gears, and other accessories.
- The shoulder straps and large hip belt distribute the total weight so that you can carry the heavyweight backpack without any problem for a long time. You will find many elastic and a zippered pocket in the backpack that allows keeping expensive gears like scope, tripod, etc. safely.
- Your both hands will be free, and you can orient with a map, eat something, take photos, or other similar activities with flexibility.
For these advantages, you should own an elk hunting backpack. Now, you can buy the best one from the above-reviewed elk hunting backpacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here, we will answer some frequently asked questions to remove your doubts about the elk hunting backpack.
What backpack style is good for elk hunting?
There are different types of backpacks with different styles. For hunting elk, you can go for a daypack or hiking style backpack that has a large storage capacity with a hip belt and straps.
What goes in elk hunting backpack?
You should take essentials such as first aid kits, water bottles, dry foods, rifles, bows, scope, arrows, knives, power back or batteries and headlamps in the elk hunting backpack.
Should I buy a lightweight elk hunting backpack or a heavy one?
You should go for a lightweight elk hunting backpack that is made with high-quality fabrics and alloy frames to get durable, weatherproof protection and long-lasting performance.
What is the ideal size of an elk hunting backpack?
An ideal el hunting backpack has 17 to 22 inches length, 12 to 15 inches width and 20 to 24 inches tall frame that can take heavy loads easily. Also, a good one has 2000 to 5000 cubic inches of internal storage.
What is the special feature for elk hunting backpack?
El hunting backpack has low weight, heavy load capacity, large hip belt, multiple pockets and adjustable metal frame to haul meat that makes it special than the regular backpack.
Without a backpack, it is impossible to hunt an elk because you must have some hunting gears, and they need a large-sized backpack to store. Here, we have highlighted the best elk hunting backpack that will meet your demands.
In the meantime, I would like to recommend ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag that has 5250 cubic inches of large internal storage that allows us to carry bows, rifles, and other hunting gear for hunting elk. It has a freighter shelf and 3 straps that provide maximum weight support. Also, it has many pockets, hydration units, and drop-down holders for extra support while hunting.