Elk hunting is a very challenging task because they are clever and observe everything near him. To develop a hunting skill, you should have boots that allow to move quickly and silently in all terrains. A high-quality boot can save your legs from injury and provide waterproof protection with comfortable. Maximum times, elk are found in the winter areas. In the cold weather, the boot will keep your feet warm with leather and lining materials.
But, finding the right boot for hunting elk is a very difficult job and need lots of experience. So, we have researched and experimented with several boots in the market and picked up 5 best elk hunting boots that will improve your hunting skills. Let’s have a look below.
How Much Insulation Do I Need For Elk Boots?
An elk boot needs 200 grams of insulation for cold and moderate weather. But, 400 to 600 grams of insulation is better for perfect hunting. If you are hunting at 30 to 40 degrees temperature, a boot with 800 grams insulation will support better. Heavier insulated elk boot provides warm feeling and reduces sweating from feet. For short time hunting, you need a lightweight boot that has 200 to 600 grams insulation.
Table of Content:
Below is the table of content for your quick access:
- 5 Best Elk Hunting Boots Reviews 2020
- What To Consider Before Buying An Elk Hunting Boots?
- Why Should You Buy An Elk Hunting Boots?
If you want to know more about our reviewed elk hunting boots, you can go through the comparison chart below:
Danner Men's Pronghorn 8" Gore-Tex Hunting Boot
Rocky Men's Bearclaw 3D LTT Hunting Boot
Salomon Quest 4D 3 GORE-TEX Men's Backpacking Boots
Irish Setter Irish Setter Men's Vaprtrek LS 827 1200 Gram Hunting Boot
Irish Setter Men's 880 Elk Tracker Waterproof 200 Gram 12" Big Game Hunting Boot
5 Best Elk Hunting Boots Reviews 2020
Finding a boot for hunting elk is a very challenging task. Here, we have reviewed 5 best elk hunting boots after researching several hunting boots in the market and they will meet your demands. Let’s dive into it.
1. Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8″ Gore-Tex Hunting Boot
Danner Men’s Pronghorn is made with GORE-TEX lining, Camohide breathable leather that provides durable performance with 100% waterproof protection at all temperatures. Its height is 8 inches that can cover your ankles and you will feel comfortable while walking or running. Also, its heel cap and full-grain toe provide comfort in inclined surfaces. For these advantages, it can be considered as the best elk hunting boots.
The boots weigh about 2 pounds each so you will feel heaviness on your feet that makes it one of the lightweight elk hunting boots. It has rugged hardware that helps to fit the feet and ensure long-lasting usage. Also, it has a rubberized sole that provides anti-slip protection at the slippery surface and you can move freely.
It has three dense cushioning with polyurethane footbed that provides warm, superb comfort feel and reduces sweating from feet. It’s Danner Pronghorn outer sole helps to walk and run freely rugged terrain with solid traction. Also, the Terra Force technology of the bool ensures stable performance at all surfaces so that it can be considered as the top elk hunting boots.
Danner Men’s Features:
- It is made with Camohide breathable leather that provides durable performance and waterproof protection.
- The weight of each boot is 2 pounds, so you will not feet heaviness on your feet for a long time walking.
- Its three density cushion provides comfort, warmth and reduces seating from feet.
- The rubber sole provides stability in slippery and rugged terrain with solid traction.
- It has 8 inches height that covers your ankles and provides a comfortable walking experience.
2. Rocky Men’s Bearclaw 3D LTT Hunting Boot
Rocky Men’s Bearclaw 3D has 200 grams insulation with Thinsulate that provide warmth in cold temperature and a high level of comfort. It is made with synthetic leather that ensures long-lasting performance. Its lace and Bearclaw 3D outsole offers a relaxed hiking experience. Also, its sole is made with rubber that protects us from slippage with proper traction.
Its nylon construction and GORE-TEX lining provide rigidity that allows to improve hunting experience and reduce sweating in feet. It has footbed with the air-port cushion that helps to absorb shock and impacts. Its adjust lace to leg allows to fit the boot perfectly. Also, it has a solid surface that provides relaxation for a long time.
The Goodyear welt provides durability that will be a great advantage for hunting elk so that we can recommend it the best hiking boots for elk hunting. You can easily clean the boots with water and soap. It provides absolute protection from water and fog that ensure the longevity of the boots. During the rainy season, water cannot enter into the boots for the keen insulation.
Rocky Men’s Features:
- It has 200 grams 3M insulation provide comfort and warmth in cold temperature.
- The soft leather construction provides flexible walking performance for a long time.
- GORE-TEX lining and Goodyear welt keeps the feet dry and improve hunting performance.
- It ensures protection from water and fog with leak-free solid construction.
- The Bearclaw 3D rubber sole protects from slippery terrain and keep shape easily.
3. Salomon Quest 4D 3 GORE-TEX Men’s Backpacking Boots
If you are looking for the best affordable hunting boots, the Salomon Quest 4D backpacking boot could be the right option for you. It is equipped with a thin Contagrip rubber sole that provides a superb grip on all surfaces and protects feet from harsh impacts. Also, it is made with Nubuck leather provides comfort by breathing that reduces nasty smells form boots.
Its GORE-TEX lining protects the boots from water so that it will last longer. The boots are lightweight about 1.5lbs per boot, so you don’t feel heaviness on your feet. Also, its ankle covering portion and lacing system provides flexibility and keep dry the feet. It has 4D advanced chassis that provides comfort on the forefoot and smooth walking on all terrains.
The good elk hunting boots have EnergyCell EVA foam padding that reduces the shock that improves its durability. The Sensefit cradles help to fit the boots on your feet perfectly. Also, it reduces foot fatigue during a long time walking on the uneven surface and roughest surface so it could be perfect for backpacking treks. Its lug pattern provides a real feel of a hunting boot.
Salomon Quest Features:
- It is made with Nubuck breathable leather that provides comfort, lone lasting performance and durability.
- The Contagrip rubber sole provides maximum traction that helps to move freely in all terrains.
- Each boot weighs 1.5 pounds that help to walk and run freely on trails and will not get pain.
- The 4D chassis provide flexibility on the forefoot and ensure smooth ride step to step.
- It has a GORE-TEX lining that ensures waterproof protection and reduces nasty smells.
4. Irish Setter Irish Setter Men’s Vaprtrek LS 827 1200 Gram Hunting Boot
Irish Setter Men’s Vaprtrek LS 827 Primaloft Gold Eco has 400 grams insulation that provides comfort and warmth at cold temperatures. Its UltraDry lining protects the boot from water and reduces bad odors effectively. Also, its height is 8 inches that cover up to the ankle and helps your feet from excess mud. The boots are lightweight and each pair weighs about 1.5 pounds so you can move freely on all terrains.
The heel cup system and the polyurethane footbed ensure stability on rugged terrain. Its ten camo sole provides a secure grip on the slippery and uneven surface so you can safely walk and run. Also, it is designed with 80 percent Honeycomb ripstop nylon fabric that provides long-lasting performance and durability. It has 9 inches long lace that allows to tie up the boot perfectly.
It has Armatec protective camouflage that provides safety on the toe and heel. Also, it is comfortable to hike easily at tough treks, so you don’t feel pain in your legs. Its mother foam internal padding and rubber sole provide noise-free moving that helps to hunt elk silently. Both men and women can wear the boot. After all, it can be considered as one of the best budget hunting boots.
Irish Setter Features:
- It is designed with 80% Honeycomb nylon material that provides long-lasting usage and durability.
- The ten camo rubber sole ensures grip on all types of terrains to move without hesitation.
- It has 400 grams of insulation that provide comfort and relaxation in all weather.
- The UltraDry lining and ScentBan technology ensure waterproof protection and remove nasty smells.
- It has an RPM composite that provides lightweight feel on feet with relaxation and stability.
5. Irish Setter Men’s 880 Elk Tracker
Irish Setter Men’s 880 Elk Tracker has 200 grams insulation with 3M Thinsulate that ensure warm feel and longtime usage in all-weather with durability. Even in damp conditions, it could keep your feet warm to withstand all day long use. It has the ScentBan control process on the footbed that helps to eliminate bad odors by killing bacteria.
It is equipped with the GORE-TEX lining that reduces moisture and evaporates internal moisture so you can easily use it at the rainy season. The membrane blocks keep your feet dry by removing vapor from inside. Also, it is made with 100% breathable and pure leather provides extra comfort and movability. It has removable memory foam padding that ensures comfort while running.
Each boot weighs less than 1 pounds, so you will not feel heaviness and move freely. Due to its lightweight, you can move near the elk silently and hunt easily. Also, it has a cork midsole that provides shock-absorbing protection at the inclined surface. For these advantages, it could be the best rubber hunting boots for cold weather.
Irish Setter Features:
- It made with 100% pure breathable leather that provides long-lasting usage and durability.
- Its 200 grams 3M Thinsulate and memory foam provide comfort and warmth in all seasons.
- The ScentBan technology helps to reduce bad smells from boots and keep your feet dry.
- GORE-TEX blocks prevent moisture and provide waterproof protection at all conditions.
- Its rubber sole provides a secure grip at the slippery and inclined surface to move quickly.
What To Consider Before Buying An Elk Hunting Boots?
Buying a boot for hunting elk is a very challenging job because it must have some features. Below, we will present 5 important factors to consider before buying the best elk hunting boots. The factors are:
Material is one of the essential elements when choosing an elk hunting boot. When choosing a hunting boot, you can find leather, synthetic leather, textile lining, nylon, etc. Always select the boot that is breathable and made with a robust material so that it does not cause any type of damage to your feet, especially if you go out on a hunting weekend with your friends.
Going hunting means exposing yourself to all kinds of weather conditions, crossing streams and jumping puddles. So, choose a boot that has waterproof coverage such as Gore-Tex, an insulated membrane, but which keeps the feet dry and protects them from cold and dust.
Size and weight:
Like trekking shoes and athletic shoes, it’s better to choose one size larger than your regular number. You should choose the hunting boot that perfectly suits your feet. Also, the elk hunting boot must be lightweight, which allows to move quickly in all terrains. The weight of each boot should be under 2 pounds and both should be under a maximum of 4 pounds. Heavy boots can cause foot pain that is not good for us.
Hunting boots must have anti-slip soles that provide good traction on all types of terrain. The most popular are those that are made of rubber, synthetic materials or polyurethane and that offer excellent grip and support on all types of terrain so that you have the freedom of movement that you require in hunting. The rubber sole is very effective and safe in slippery, wet and rugged surfaces.
Choosing boots with a casual or sporty design is a great advantage because they would work well to go anywhere in the city with your boots and jeans. Likewise, among the different models available on the market, you will find trekking boots and mountain boots that you can easily use as hunting boots and as casual shoes that adapt to different circumstances. You will also find unisex hunting boots.
These are the 5 factors to consider that will help you to buy the right elk hunting boots.
Note: In the above section, we have presented a guide to buying elk hunting boots. If you want to know more about hunting boots, you can read the hunting boots buying guide.
Why Should You Buy An Elk Hunting Boots?
For several advantages, you should purchase an elk hunting boot that will help you to hunt elk effectively.
- Elk hunting boots are made with pure leather materials that provide durability and allow to use for a long time.
- Its extra lining feature ensures waterproof protection, helps to keep our feet dry and provide warmth at all season.
- The boots sole is made with high-quality rubber material that provides grip on all types of surface and terrain.
- They are lightweight and each boot weighs 2 pounds maximum that helps to walk and run quickly for a long time without pain.
- Its high neck design provides extra comfort in uneven terrain, prevents the mud from entering into the boot and protects the ankle.
These are the reasons why you need an elk hunting boots. Now, choose the right one from our reviewed elk hunting boots.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have answered some frequently asked questions about elk hunting boots.
Are hunting boots good for hiking?
Hunting boots are made with the rubber sole and creek bottom that provide a strong grip at all surfaces and terrains. So, you can use the hunting boots for hiking that has a rubberized sole.
Can you wash hunting boots?
You can easily wash hunting boots and dry it quickly because they are equipped with breathable leather, Gore-Tex lining and removable foam padding that provide waterproof protection.
Can you put boots in the washing machine?
Hunting boots are made with leather and nylon fabrics. So, I don’t recommend to wash the hunting boots in the washing machine. But, you can wash the removable internal padding and lace in the washing machine.
Are rubber hunting boots snake proof?
All rubber hunting boots are not snakebite resistance. Some specialized models have the feature that ensures protection from snake bites.
Are rubber hunting boots warm?
Normally, hunting boots are 6 to 12 inches tall and have insulation that keeps your feet warm and dry at all weather conditions.
A perfect hunting boot can improve your elk hunting experience better. Here, we have presented 5 best elk hunting boots that provide durability and longtime hunting session. From the best five, I would like to recommend Danner Men’s Pronghorn hunting boot that is made with CamoHide leather and Gore-Tex lining to ensure waterproof protection and comfortability while hunting elk.
The boot’s weight is only 2 pounds both and utilizes the Terra Force system that provides stability. Also, the Ortholite footbed provides comfort and reduces bam smells from the boots. Its Bearclaw 3D sole ensures a secured grip so you can move quickly in all terrains.