If you are a hunter and hunt frequently, you need many things to complete your hunting trip. Among them, you should have the best GPS watch for hunting for several different reasons. The most important thing you have to consider before going hunting is to track your way and come back to where you have installed your tent.
But sometimes, it becomes difficult for many hunters, whether you are beginner or skilled, to find the right track to hunt or return to your tent. In this case, your GPS watch should come into action. It will help you find the right track; therefore, it will help you complete your hunting trip anytime you like.
Note: GPS is an essential gear you should have with you if you want to hunt successfully. We have covered details about Do I need a GPS for hunting? If you are eager to learn, you can check it out.
Table of Content:
If you want to see what we have covered in the review article with a buying guide, you can check the following table of content. It will help you understand what we have covered in this article.
- 5 Best GPS Watch For Hunting Reviews 2021
- Do I Need A GPS For Hunting?
- What To Consider Before Buying A GPS Watch For Hunting?
- Why Should You Buy A GPS Watch For Hunting?
- Frequently Asked Questions For GPS Watch
- Final Thought
After our extended-period of research, we are now confident enough to review the 5 best GPS watch for hunting. We have compared them with each other so that you can better understand them. Also, if you don’t have enough time to go through the whole article, you can have a quick look at the chart and pick one that may suit you.
5 Best GPS Watch For Hunting Reviews 2021
Spending numerous hours for the research, we have reviewed 5 best GPS watch for hunting. Actually, we have lessened your hard work and compiled these GPS watches so that you can pick one from here that will help you continue your hunting trip. The following review of these products will take you to the details of their features, advantages, and disadvantages. So, let’s get into the point.
1. SUUNTO Ambit3 Peak HR Running GPS Unit
SUUNTO Ambit3 helps you provide stable and accurate altitude, which is crucial for a GPS watch must-have. It will allow you to track the way perfectly, and without losing your way, you will find the right direction as well. The weather information is also important for a hunter to know when it becomes difficult for him to pursue his hunting trip. Its built-in altimeter, compass, and GPS, water-resistant, allow you to survive in the forest. So, it should be the best GPS watch for navigation.
This GPS navigation watch provides you with the most competitive battery life out there in the market. It provides you 200 hours with one minute of accuracy. Being the case material polyamide, it can withstand rain and water for a long. If you want to sync your activities with the device, you need to connect it to your smartphone, and you are ready to go.
Not only that, you can also see calls and notifications on the GPS watch, so you don’t need to bring out your smartphone in the rain or rough weather. It comes with another cool feature that allows you to share your adventure. It can create a Suunto Movie with your trip’s highlights, including your photos in the movement.
SUUNTO Ambit3 Features:
- It comes with a stable and accurate altitude to help you hunt worry-free. Also, weather information allows you to find a safer place in the time of a storm.
- Suunto Ambit3 has a built-in altimeter, barometer, compass, and GPS to help you survive in the wilderness.
- Its battery life can go up to 200 hours to easily beat any batteries out there in the market.
- It also allows you to connect the device to your smartphone to monitor your forest activities and sync automatically.
- You can see your smartphone’s calls and notifications in the GPS watch after connecting your phone to the watch.
2. Garmin Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS
Germin Instinct GPS watch can combat against the toughest environment while going hunting. It has been designed in a special way similar to the US Military standard that can absorb shock and water resistance. It is being rated to 100 meters as well. If you want to hunt in a more challenging area, it should be the best GPS watch for backpacking. The device comes with 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter to help you navigate the challenging track in the roughest environment.
The outdoor GPS watch can also monitor your physical condition, including heart rate, stress, and activity. The device can also train you with the preloaded activity profile. You can connect your smartphone (if it allows) to see the calls and notification. It is capable of uploading data automatically to the Garmin online fitness community.
Its trackback features will allow you to navigate the same route you have finished. You may lose the way from where you have started. So, this device will help you to return to the starting point with its trackback feature. You can utilize its battery life in three different ways. If you turn on the smartwatch mode, it will last for 14 days, followed by 16 hours in GPS mode and 40 hours in Ultratrac battery saver mode.
Germin Instinct GPS watch Features:
- Its multiple global navigation satellite systems help you to track in the toughest environment.
- The device can monitor your heart rate, stress, and activity at the time of hunting. Also, it can be used for training as it can preload the activity profiles.
- By connecting with your smartphone, you can get calls and notifications on the GPS watch.
- The device’s awesome trackback feature will help you find the same route to start your hunting trip.
- Long-lasting battery life helps you utilize the power in three different modes, including smartwatch, GPS, and Ultratrac battery saver mode.
3. Casio Men’s”Pro Trek” Outdoor GPS Resin Sports Watch
Casio Men’s”Pro Trek” Outdoor GPS comes with wearing OS by Google. It is also designed to the military standard with 810 G durability. The GPS watch is also water-resistant, meaning that it can survive under 50 meters in the water. The watch also has a digital compass to assist you in navigating better. Other than that, it has an altimeter, barometer, and so forth.
Its activity tracker allows you to track the previous route in case you forget to find out again. So, it helps you to return to the starting point from where you have started. The microphone of the device helps you to talk to others in times of danger or normal time. Its case diameter is 55 mm, which is helpful to see the map and navigator better.
The water resistance feature of the device allows you to have recreational swimming. But it does not mean that you can use the GPS watch for diving or snorkeling. Sometimes, the weather can keep cold for days. Don’t worry because the device can survive in low-temperature, not more than under 10 degrees centigrade. Therefore, it can be considered the best smartwatch for hunting.
Casio Men’s”Pro Trek” Outdoor GPS Features:
- The device has an activity tracker, which allows you to record your previous activity and helps you review your activity.
- It comes with a microphone to help you talk with others who are with you in the time of necessity.
- Being water-resistant, you can use the GPS watch for short time recreational swimming. But you should avoid driving and snorkeling wearing the watch.
- The GPS watch is ideal for hunting because it can withstand low temperatures under 10 degrees centigrade.
- It is durable as the device has been made maintaining the US Military standard, 810 G.
4.Suunto Traverse Alpha
Suunto Traverse Alpha is the best watch for hunting and fishing. Do you know why? Well. It has a location based moon phase calendar, which will allow you to utilize for both hunting and fishing. Its nylon strap works as a water repellent. Knurled stainless steel bezel makes the device durable and sturdy with a rugged feature for a better grip. The device is built with sapphire crystal glass that prevents the watch from scratching.
When and where you have shot can be tracked by the Suunto’s automatic shot detection technology. So, you can easily find the place and time you have shot. Also, it helps to map the GPS to track your location for your later reviewing. The device comes with its automatic breadcrumb trail, which benefits you to find your way back. Also, it can track your path so that you can find it effortlessly.
It can be operated at the temperature of 20 0C to 600C, which is 50F to 1400F allowing you to use it for hunting and fishing. The GPS watch has also been tested against the military standard, and its Military standard 810G proves that it is durable and sturdy.
Suunto Traverse Alpha Features:
- The GPS watch comes with Suunto’s automatic shot detection technology to help you keep track of your shots.
- The GPS coordinates your location to help you for later viewing. Therefore, you can get back to the place where you started.
- Its automatic breadcrumb trail allows you to find the way back.
- The location-based moon phase calendar with moonrise and moonset times inspires you to use it for hunting and fishing.
- It comes with Military standard 810 G, which ensures the devices’ durability and sturdiness.
5. Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
Garmin Foretrex is a hunting watch with a compass. The device features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix that will enable you to track everything in the heavy tree cover and deep canyons. While you may lose yourself in the deep forest covered with heavy trees, the device will help you find ways. It helps keep track of your routes and waypoints so that you can return easily.
Moreover, it can be equipped with a heart rate monitor to track your heart rate. But you have to purchase it separately because it does not come with the device at the time of purchase. The device has a TrackBack feature as well to retrace your way. You will see it on the easy to read LCD. The device’s dual position readout helps you to view the current location in several types.
It can hold the compass level at the time of navigating so that maximum accuracy can be ensured. It also has a long lasting battery, which you can utilize for up to 17 hours in GPS mode. The device has a 1.42×0.91 inches display for better viewing when hunting or returning to the starting point. The GPS compass watch is also worth its features.
Garmin Foretrex Features:
- The device comes with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix for better performance.
- Whether it is a heavy tree covering the area or deep canyons, the GPS watch can help you find the way from the forest.
- You can also monitor your heart rate but need to purchase it separately.
- Its TrackBack feature helps you retrace your patch, so you don’t have to worry about finding your starting point.
- Its dual position readout helps the users to view the current location in several formats.
Do I Need A GPS For Hunting?
Of course, you need a GPS for hunting. If you are lost in the wilderness or don’t find your direction to the tent, a GPS watch will help you find the way. So, chances are you will not forget the direction you follow if you have a GPS watch in your hand.
If you want to become one of the best hunters out there, you need nothing but a GPS watch in your hand when hunting. It will allow you to go to the right track you want to go to and also helps you to return to the place you want.
What To Consider Before Buying A GPS Watch For Hunting?
If you are a hunter and want to purchase the best GPS watch for hunting, you should consider a few important things. Otherwise, you will end up buying one that may not fulfill your requirement. You may have bought a pricey one having many important features, but it may not something that you are searching for. We have also covered these important aspects you need to know to buy the best one to meet your needs.
Compass and altimeter:
Your GPS watch must have a compass and altimeter. Sometimes, you may lose yourself in the forest. If it happens, a compass and altimeter will help you find a way to get out of the unknown places. So, while buying a GPS watch, make sure it has a built-in compass and altimeter.
A barometer is a must:
When going hunting, you need to know how the weather is and what it would be after sometimes. The prediction of weather from your barometer will be a life-saver for hunters. It will allow you to keep you safe in times of bad weather.
In the harsh hunting condition, your GPS watch needs to survive. Therefore, it should be water-resistant. Not only that, it will allow you to swim in the river and help you last longer. Besides, it should be a rugged construction as well for better durability.
Sunrise and sunset feature:
The feature of your GPS watch will help you to understand better when the sun is setting and rising. It is really helpful for a hunter to know when he should stop and return to his tent. The watch’s alarm plays an important role in making your alert and allows you to stop for the day.
Why Should You Buy A GPS Watch For Hunting?
You should buy a GPS watch for hunting for many reasons. Without having a GPS watch, your hunting trip will be incomplete, and you may not be able to become a pro hunter.
- You need a GPS watch to monitor the way you have already passed. It will allow you to trace back to the point you have started your trip.
- It will prevent you from getting lost in the deep forest. Yes, you may lose yourself in the woods. In this case, a GPS watch will help you locate and find a way to get out of the dark forest.
- You need one to support you, become a skilled hunter, and trace the previous track so that you can view the previous path you have already made.
- It has an alarm for the sunrise and sunset, making you aware of when to stop and return to the tent.
- It will further help you to track your heart rate along with your activity and stress. So, you can keep track of your heart and act accordingly.
- You can also connect your smartphone with the GPS watch to get calls and notification from your smartphone.
Frequently Asked Questions For GPS Watch
In case you may search for similar queries. That’s why; we are going to answer some important questions you may also have. Below are these questions; you may find answers for them.
Do GPS watches have maps?
Yes, most GPS watches have maps to help you navigate the way and allow you to get out if you lose yourself in the forest.
Does aluminum foil block GPS signal?
No, aluminum foil does not block GPS signal, but some location can affect the signals.
Will a magnet block a GPS signal?
No, a magnet will not block a GPS signal. Other than that it may help to receive signals.
Are GPS devices obsolete?
GPS devices are not obsolete totally. Modern GPS has the access to the internet constantly.
It is expected that you can select the best GPS watch for hunting because you have enough knowledge about it, right? If you are still struggling, you can consider SUUNTO Ambit3 Peak HR Running GPS Unit.
It will allow you to trace your way and help you find out the way from the woods’ heavy tree location. Not only that, it is durable and sturdy, having a military standard of 810G thermal. Also, it is suitable for hunting as well as fishing.