If you are fond of making outdoor trips, especially into the wilderness, you must have a GPS device to track your route. The market today is filled with a good number of GPS systems meant for almost every outdoor activity. The best handheld GPS for hunting should be able to calculate and determine your location at all times.
A lot of hunters choose to have GPS units, for they prove quite beneficial when wandering through the woods. With a GPS device, one can move freely without restriction and still be able to locate the route they followed when going back. By following the arrows on the screen of your GPS unit, you stand a better chance of going back to your starting point safely.
Do I Need A Gps For Hunting?
You do need a GPS for hunting because it is what makes all the difference when hunting. GPS units for hunting have a variety of features that are paramount for hunting. However, the main point of having a GPS for hunting is to enable you to find your way back so that you don’t end up getting lost in the woods. Instead of marking a tree that will allow you to find your trail back, a GPS unit will do that for you.
Table Of Content:
- 5 Best Handheld Gps For Hunting Reviews 2020
- What To Consider Before Buying A Handheld Gps For Hunting
Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
Garmin eTrex 20x Handheld GPS (010-01508-00) with 32GB Accessory Bundle Includes
Garmin eTrex 20x, Handheld GPS Navigator, Enhanced Memory
Garmin Montana 680 Touchscreen GPS/GLONASS Receiver, Worldwide Basemaps
Garmin 010-01199-20 GPSMAP 64st Worldwide Handheld GPS
5 Best Handheld Gps For Hunting Reviews 2020
The critical point about a GPS device for hunting is to give you clear direction when hunting. Through technology, this device has been enhanced to make typographical mapping easy. With a GPS unit, you will always track your way back, and that is why we are going to review the five best handheld GPS for hunting to enable you to choose the suitable one. Acquiring a GPS unit that is reliable can be quite challenging; however, this article will help you in picking the best one of good quality and reliable.
Hunters will love the Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide GPS Navigator because of its rugged handheld navigator that comes with a worldwide basemap that is already preloaded. This map takes note of all your routes and waypoints to get you back to your starting point. This map also displays data on your 2.2-inch monochrome display screen for a better view.
What you will love about this GPS Navigator is the fact that it is not pricey, making it the best budget handheld GPS. It is an affordable GPS receiver that is WAAS enabled for fast positioning. Its GLONASS support ensures that you always have a reliable signal throughout your trip without fail.
What is even more thrilling is the fact that it is a waterproof receiver that is IPX7 standards offering you protection against any form of water. Apart from that, you will be able to use this GPS receiver for 20 hours because it is powered with two Polaroid AA batteries to serve you continuously for hours.
Garmin eTrex Features:
- This GPS navigator is loaded with a worldwide basemap that marks your routes for accessible location.
- It features a WAAS GPS receiver that ensures accurate positioning.
- Through its GLONASS support, this receiver enables you always to have a reliable signal.
- This is an excellent water-resistant navigator of IPX7 standards that ensures protection from water.
- With this navigator, you will be able to hunt for hours non-stop due to its powerful battery that doesn’t drain off power quickly.
2. Garmin eTrex 20x Handheld GPS (010-01508-00)
The Garmin eTrex 20x Handheld GPS comes with a 32 GB memory card meant to store more maps for navigation purposes. This storage is enhanced with a 3.7 GB internal memory that allows you to download additional maps. What makes this handheld GPS stand out is it’s 240 x 320 great resolution that offers a better view display.
Take charge of your hunting adventure by having this WAAS-enabled GPS receiver. You will be able to hunt in the dark without challenges because it has a LED Lantern flashlight. Besides, it will not run out of power quickly due to its AA rechargeable batteries that retain power for a long time.
If you are focusing on having the best handheld GPS for the money, then this Garmin eTrex 20x Handheld GPS should be your first pick. It is not only affordable but also durable having exceptional features. The fact that it is also waterproof makes it outstanding, for it can withstand all elements.
Garmin eTrex Features:
- The eTrex 20x comes with a 32GB memory card plus an additional 3.7 GB internal memory for adequate map storage.
- This handheld GPS features 240 x 320 outstanding resolution for better view display.
- With this eTrex 20x Handheld GPS, you can hunt in the dark due to LED Lantern flashlight.
- It features reliable AA rechargeable batteries that can maintain power for many hours.
- This handheld eTrex features a waterproof GPS that offers protection from any form of water.
The eTrex 20x is an affordable handheld GPS that will give you value for your money. It comes with an enhanced internal memory of up to 3.7 GB that allows you to load additional maps. You will also find a microSD card slot that you can also store a variety of route maps.
The Garmin eTrex 20x is an exceptional receiver that allows you to navigate the trails quite easily. A preloaded basemap is also available for easy navigation. The fact that this eTrex maintains its GPS location makes it exceptional. This ensures that your location is always known and not guessed.
With this receiver, you will enjoy an upgraded resolution of a 2.2-inch color display for readable viewing. You will be able to locate your position precisely through the high-sensitive WAAS-GPS receiver. The GLONASS support and HotFix satellite prediction maintain your location no matter how deep you are in the woods.
Garmin eTrex 20x Features:
- This navigator comes with a sensitive WAAS-GPS receiver that allows you to know your direction precisely.
- The eTrex receiver uses the GLONASS support to locate your position accurately.
- It comes with an internal memory of 3.7 GB to allow you to download a variety of maps.
- For better display readability, this navigator features a 2.2-inch color display that is also upgraded for better viewing.
- This navigator comes with an already loaded basemap that enables easy navigation. The fact that this eTrex maintains its GPS location makes it exceptional.
4. Garmin Montana 680 Touchscreen GPS/GLONASS Receiver, Worldwide Basemaps
This is another best Garmin handheld GPS for hunting that comes with loaded 250,000 global geocaches. What this means is you cannot get lost because you have a lot of options to choose from. You can also explore your surroundings through the Birdseye satellite imagery feature.
The Garmin Montana is a WAAS-enabled GPS receiver with GLONASS support to enable you to locate your position accurately. This is also facilitated through its Hotfix satellite prediction that maintains your location no matter where you are. It also comes with a track manager that navigates and organizes all possible routes and waypoints.
Through the Garmin Montana, you can take pictures with its 8-megapixel digital camera. It not only delivers crisp quality images but also improved resolution. You will love its readable touchscreen display that is quite easy to operate.
Garmin Montana Features:
- This handheld GPS unit comes with 250,000 preloaded worldwide geocaches that allow you have various options to choose from.
- It is a WAAS-enabled GPS receiver with GLONASS support to locate your position precisely.
- It features an 8-megapixel digital camera that can deliver top-quality images.
- This receiver comes with a touchscreen display that is readable for better viewing.
- This Garmin Montana features a track manager that not only organizes but also navigates all routes.
5. Garmin 010-01199-20 GPSMAP 64st Worldwide Handheld GPS
GPSMAP 64st comes with a worldwide preloaded basemap of a 1-year subscription. Its 32GB memory card allows you to add more maps to ease your way in any given place. Additionally, the 64st is also compatible with Garmin Custom Maps that enables you to change electronic and paper maps easily into easy to use downloadable maps.
What is more interesting about this GPSMAP 64st is the geocaches wireless connection that is compatible with other devices. This means you can share your routes, waypoints, and tracks with another Garmin GPS user. It features GLONASS receiver that also has an helix antenna that delivers excellent reception.
Garmin GPSMAP 64st color screen is 2.6” and highly sensitive. This handheld GPS has a Birdseye satellite imagery that enables accurate photo viewing. It comes with a 1-year subscription. This handheld GPS for hunting and fishing can be used in the dark because of its bright LED Lantern Flashlight. This provides the desired light, plus it also comes with rechargeable AA batteries that will allow you to keep on hunting for long hours.
Garmin 010 Features:
- This GPSMAP 64st features a worldwide preloaded basemap to give you a choice of a variety of maps to use.
- It comes with a 32GB memory card that allows you to add maps that help in easing navigation.
- This device features a compatible geocaches wireless connection to enable you to connect with other devices.
- The GPS and GLONASS receiver comes with a quad-helix antenna that gives you remarkable reception.
- You can navigate easily even in the dark because this handheld GPS features a LED Lantern Flashlight.
What To Consider Before Buying A Handheld Gps For Hunting
Handheld hunting GPS devices are essential if you are planning to go hunting, fishing, or even hiking. Having such a device gives you peace of mind knowing that you cannot get lost, making you have a memorable experience. The best handheld GPS for hunting should have essential features that you should put into consideration before making a purchase. This buying guide will enable you to understand what to look for in a handheld GPS for hunting.
- Ease of use:
The functions of a handheld GPS should be diverse when it comes to usability. Ensure that you check well the ease of use of the GPS unit you want to buy. It should have important features that will enable you to use the device well. The model you choose should be precise and accurate in terms of usage. Go for a unit that is easy to use; so that you don’t take time to learn from scratch how to navigate and understand how your device works.
The durability of a handheld GPS applies to the whole device in general. What is the use of having a fancy GPS unit if it does not serve you for a long time? It should not break easily; rather, it should be sturdy and long-lasting. You need to choose wisely and pick a GPS device that is made with top-quality material. The durability of a hunting handheld GPS is determined by its service life and strength and service life.
- Battery life:
Battery life is of utmost significance for you want a device that its power will not die before you finish your trip. A good GPS model is one that supports prolonged battery life hence seeing you through your entire trip. Don’t go for a device that calls for regular charging now and then. You can opt to go with a GPS unit that features replaceable batteries.
- Storage memory:
The best hunting GPS unit should have enough storage space that cannot easily run out. Choose one with adequate internal memory, plus it should also support an SD card for additional storage. Note that the more memory your GPS unit has, the more ability it will have to store your navigation data.
- Screen display quality:
Another vital aspect to look into when choosing a handheld GPS is the display screen. It is via the screen that you will be able to view route and map information. Therefore, the screen should be of exceptional quality, allowing you to read clearly the displayed information. The screen quality should be top-notch and built to last.
Why Should You Buy A Handheld Gps For Hunting
Several advantages should make you buy a handheld GPS for hunting. Some of them include:
- With a GPS for hunting, you will be able to take note of your routes and trace your way back to your starting point without getting lost.
- A handheld GPS device enables you to maintain a signal no matter how thick the forest is. This assures you of your exact location throughout.
- Having a handheld GPS gadget enables you to locate and mark your hunting points throughout your hunting adventure. Through that, you can pinpoint the best areas to concentrate on while hunting.
- Through a handheld GPS, you can hunt in the dark easier. This is because it allows you to hunt both in the day and darkness.
- Even after the hunting season is over, you can still maintain and manage the saved in the GPS. This comes in handy when preparing for the next trip.
- A handheld GPS will be able to store all your navigation data for ease of reference. That is the importance of having a GPS device with adequate storage space.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Garmin or TomTom better?
In some ways, Garmin is better than TomTom in some things and vice versa. Both of them have quality devices that offer almost similar services.
Is the Garmin eTrex 10 good for hunting?
The Garmin eTrex 10 is excellent for hunting and should be your number one choice if you want to have a great hunting experience.
Can GPS tracking be wrong?
GPS tracking can only be wrong if there is any interference instilled. Otherwise, it should be able to give accurate location reading at all times.
Does aluminum foil block GPS signal?
Yes, an aluminum foil can block GPS signal making its tracking disappear and also untraceable.
Will a magnet block a GPS signal?
Only a highly powerful magnet can block a GPS signal. However, ordinary magnets cannot cause any interference with a GPS signal.
As we conclude this review, it is essential to note that the right GPS device should be able to give you an exceptional tracking service. Knowing your location while in the forest is paramount, as well as tracing your way back to your starting point. That is what the best handheld GPS for hunting should deliver.
I highly recommend the Garmin eTrex 20x, Handheld GPS Navigator as the best handheld GPS for hunting. This is because it reads data fast and accurately; it is also able to show your location in a precise manner. To add to that, this handheld GPS is waterproof, meaning that any form of water cannot harm it. It also comes with a prolonged battery life, which enables you to complete your hunting adventure without the battery draining off.