A Garmin handheld GPS is a particular unit that keeps you on the right course wherever you are. It is essential for you if camping and hiking are your best adventures. But, have you an idea on how to use a Garmin handheld GPS? It is quite simple to learn this device; it does not come with any technicalities.
The precision a Garmin handheld GPS offers is out of this world. This is the reason why it is the most sought-after handheld GPS today. Carry it with you whenever you are hitting the woods to ensure that you find your way.
Why Use A Handheld GPS?
There are many reasons why you should use a handheld GPS, the main one being helping you find your way. Take a handheld GPS for hunting, for instance, that ensures that you don’t lose your way as you hunt in the woods. This unit offers unmatched accuracy; no wonder its popularity keeps rising every day.
Here is why you should use a handheld GPS:
- Use this device due to its exceptional tracking abilities that end up providing your location no matter what. Your family will be able to track you if you’ve gone to the woods and got lost.
- With this GPS unit, you can perform all types of activities thanks to its versatility.
- It is portable hence easy to carry around. All you have to do is throw it in your pocket, and you are good to go.
- Having a GPS unit means you have a fully functional device in your hands. You don’t require other attachments to add to your device.
- You need to use a handheld GPS because it fits comfortably in your palm allowing you to use it for any activity.
- Through a handheld GPS, you will be able to receive traffic and alerts. You will always be informed of any adverse weather or heavy traffic around you. That way, you can choose an alternative route to follow.
- If you are driving and using a handheld GPS, you will receive speed limits on the precise road you are on. This will enable you to adhere to the road rules without any challenges.
- A handheld GPS ensures that you precisely record your speed and distance. You will be able to know the exact distance you have covered.
- You can use a handheld GPS to monitor your heart rate and blood pressure. This helps in keeping your health in excellent condition.
How to Use a Garmin Handheld GPS?
If you spend most of your time outdoors, you require a handheld GPS device to keep your location in check. The main aim of having this device with you is its ability to enable you to navigate well. This is made possible by the many maps availed by a handheld GPS. Having said that, do you have a clue on how to use a Garmin handheld GPS? Keep reading for more information.
Switch on the GPS
For you to turn on your GPS, you should be outdoors and not indoors. This is because your device can only receive signals from the satellite if it’s in an open space. A handheld GPS will not work if you are not in an open field.
The power button of a GPS is usually located on the right side. Press and hold the power button for your device to turn on. You will see the satellite page once your unit opens. Give it a few minutes to find satellite signals. Once it is connected to around three satellites, it will give you your location. You will realize that the moment your location is determined, the Satellite screen automatically vanishes as the main menu appears.
Your handheld GPS features several menus and screens that permit you to perform different tasks, including navigation. The button marked “X” allows you to switch easily amongst screens, and you can also use it to go back to the main menu. When on the Satellites page, you will notice that your connection is made possible by not less than three satellites. On the upper left corner of your handheld GPS, you will find your coordinates to aid in navigation. Go to the Map page to know your exact location.
The best part about a handheld GPS is to record maps and save coordinates of your current location. You can save your location, which are your waypoints, in the memory of the GPS. Remember to write down the number of a waypoint once you save it. The locations on your GPS that you end up saving are what are termed as waypoints.
The Track Log
At this point, you need to turn on the track log on to ensure that your track is automatically recorded. When you start mapping, turn on the tracklog to ensure that all the information is saved. Later on, you can view the map on your computer. To map the road’s course, you must keep a waypoint where a road begins and ends. Write all the essential information in your notebook for future reference.
Note: A handheld GPS has several ways of displaying signal strength, including an outlined satellite page. You can add an extra signal strength field for better coordination and navigation. That is the best way to ensure that your device delivers accurate navigation no matter where you are.
If you get to a place where the sky is not clear, give the satellites some minutes to recalibrate. This is in a case where the sky is a bit obstructed. Unlike other tracking devices, a handheld GPS is never wreaked by cloud cover, not even a storm. It is not difficult to understand the basics of a GPS unit that enables you to know how to use it efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Garmin GPS require the Internet?
This device does not require any internet connection to perform its duties. A Garmin receives signals from satellites hence no need of the Internet.
Do you need WIFI for Garmin GPS?
This is a standalone GPS that does not need Wi-Fi. All information you need will be received from the satellites rendering Wi-Fi useless.
Is Garmin GPS better than a phone?
Not necessarily because each of the two comes with its own capabilities. Some may prefer a Garmin GPS more than a phone and vice-versa.
The Garmin handheld GPS device is an essential navigation tool that makes any outdoor activity enjoyable. I am talking about hunting, hiking, camping, and mountaineering. With a GPS device, all these activities will turn out to be a memorable experience.
If you had no idea how to use a Garmin handheld GPS, I am confident that by now, you have all the information pertaining to that. Study your device to understand its basics so that anytime you want to use it; you are well-equipped knowledge-wise. Don’t worry if you are planning to navigate unfamiliar terrains; this device will come in handy.